Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why is tofu, among all foods that can be enjoyed hot, used in the expression "心急吃不了热豆腐"? Why not "心急吃不了热饭" or "心急吃不了热牛肉"?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

After tofu is made ready to eat, it is very hot. And even the outer part of the tofu get cooled down, the inner part is still very hot. It someone tries to eat it in a hurry, he will be hurt by the high temperature inside.

Rice or beef or some others cannot keep the inner part at a high temperature while the outer part is cooled down.

PS. When you try to eat tofu, please be careful.

PS2. sorry for the English, feel free to correct me.

share|improve this answer

This makes sense...i think i've always mistaken its meaning as "if you are in a hurry to eat tofu, you won't give it enough time to heat up." I was thinking the opposite, but your explanation makes good sense. and the english is perfect! thanks. –  Laguna Jan 24 '12 at 14:52
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.