I"ve been trying to figure out the tones for the character 论. It seems like it is fourth tone in 讨论. However, in something like 一概而论 I'm not entirely sure. Is this a taiwan/Mainland division? Or is it decided on a word by word basis?

• the 论s are both (讨论 and 一概而论) fourth tone....what's the problem?!
    – Mou某
    Nov 27, 2014 at 15:11
  • I am also curious why the confusion? Which other tone have you encountered?
    – NS.X.
    Nov 27, 2014 at 19:15
  • You might hear a 轻声 lun in 讨论. That's all I can think of. Nov 29, 2014 at 5:31

4 Answers 4

It's the 4th in 一概而论, both regions:

Check. e.g.:

(Both URLs point to the '一概而论' entry)

论 does have a 2nd tone reading, but 论语 seems to be the only where it is used.

Old Pekin dialect (>50 years ago) pronounce it as lin(4th tone) and that might be influencing some other dialects.

I am not sure about the situation in TW, but mandarin standard is lun(4th tone) except for 论语, habitually lun (2nd tone).

论 ,there are two tones. second tone and fourth.

Mostly,论 is fourth tone.It is a verb.

e.g. 一概而论、讨论

Only in the situation of 论语 ,论 is the second tone.

论语 is an old book writtern by Confucius‘s students,recording what Confucius said!

It should be the 4th tone.

Actually, every "论" has the same meaning is the 4th tone, such as “讨论”(discuss) “理论”(theory).

“论” in the word “论语” is specially the 2nd tone because it doesn't means like that.

When the 论 is the 2nd tone, it should be in classical Chinese and means:

1. 说得尽(some thing you want to say can be finished)(is always used when there is so much thing you want to say but you can hardly finish them.)

2. 表达,抒发(Express something you want to.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.