Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This past week my school hosted some foreign exchange students in from China. On several occasions I attempted to communicate with them but it immediately felt awkward if they didn't know English too well.

I know there's really no way of telling whether somebody understands and speaks English fluently just by looking at them, but after some time I got to know which ones did and which ones didn't.

For the ones that don't know English too well, do you have any tips as to how to properly communicate with them? I want to make sure they understand something but at the same time I don't want to be offensive.

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Alenanno Jan 29 '12 at 22:45

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hello Purmou. Your question as is is likely to be closed. You'd want to edit it and narrow it and change the type of question, because: (1) You're not asking for something but for many things (not constructive), (2) you're not asking for something specific (not a real question). If you have trouble editing it, ask for help. :) –  Alenanno Jan 28 '12 at 17:44

See the blog post Good Subjective, Bad Subjective; it can help you when editing it. –  Alenanno Jan 28 '12 at 23:17

Purmou,I agree with Alenanno. You may want to narrow and specify your question. I.e, How to ask a Chinese if he can speak English? How to ask a Chinese how fluently he speaks English? –  Huang Jan 29 '12 at 4:13

I closed the question because the OP didn't answer. Purmou, like I said, if you want, you can still improve your question. Check that blog post. –  Alenanno Jan 29 '12 at 22:46

Woah, didn't even give me a day to do it. :P I'll edit it as soon as I can. –  Purag Jan 29 '12 at 23:44

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.