I make my homework, but I am not sure in translating of a sentence and would be glad to become an answer from native speakers. The task is to write an answer to a question. The question is: 学经济的人多不多? I understand it so: Do many people study Economics? And this is the answer, I had written down:学经济多的人。(Many people study Economics.)

Is it possible to answer this way or the meaning is another? Or the meaning of the question is totally another? I would be grateful for your help! Thank you!

• I read your answer as "People who studies a lot of economics" but then again I been in Canada for so long my chinese isn't that good any more. So to a native speaker it might not make any sense
    – Huangism
    Dec 8, 2014 at 18:22
  • @Huangism As a native speaker for so long time, I interpret it at first glance as "people who studies economics a lot", too :)
    – Stan
    Dec 8, 2014 at 18:26
  • @Stan it seems my chinese is still ok, if someone answer with that to me, I would get it however it is not the correct way to answer. That being said, it could be because I am so used to translating english/chinese that I can understand most mistakes
    – Huangism
    Dec 8, 2014 at 18:28

1 Answer 1

Your answer is incorrect. The subject of your sentence is 学经济的人 (people studying economics, "study-economics-people") and your predicate is 多 (many). So putting it altogether:

学经济的人(很)多。 (positive) or 学经济的人不多。 (negative answer).

If you are not required to answer the question in a sentence, you can just say 多 or 不多. But it is much better to answer it in a sentence as this answer suggests, specially when you are learning
    – Huangism
    Dec 8, 2014 at 19:07
  • @Huangism Of course!
    – imrek
    Dec 8, 2014 at 20:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.