Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen used every now and then in written Chinese, but I've rarely heard it said in spoken Chinese except for the occasional mention of 瞧不起.

A couple of days ago I was watching Kung Fu Panda and it was used often enough in the dialogue that I noticed it.

This had me thinking, do people actually use it in spoken Chinese regularly. Doing a Google search yields plenty of results, so it has me thinking that it must be common, just not within my circle of friends or family. Even with 瞧不起 I am more likely to hear 看不起.

So is it very common in spoken Chinese? If so, is there a specific geographic location that is more likely to use it?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

As far as I know the people of Beijing and Hebei province often use 瞧,for example:

瞧病(go to hospital)

瞧您说的

In fact,In most north parts of China use 瞧,such as

让我瞧瞧(Let me see)

is often heard in Shanxi Province.

It is more often to hear such word in dialect than in mandarin.

share|improve this answer

Be aware of one thing--maybe Beijing dialect is very similar to the mandarin,but it's much less formal than mandarin. –  coqer Feb 2 '12 at 2:53

I heard it from a little 3-year-old boy going to a kindergarten in Beijing, so it must be pretty common! The note about Beijing dialect is well taken. –  Bathrobe Feb 2 '12 at 14:02
add comment

I have seen it used in Taiwan, but never heard anyone actually speak it.\ I have seen it as subtitles of western movies or tv series as "你瞧瞧" , meaning "Look at this!"

add comment

Yes we use it in spoken Chinese regularly.

Relatively speaking, 瞧 used more colloquially, partly for regional reason. As said above, heads from north china.

But either are fine, just very tiny distinction. Use 瞧 makes you Chinese more impressive. =)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.