Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that a typical way to negate a verb is to stick 不 in front of it. But I learned some phrases that use 别 instead: 别担心, 别客气 and so on, all of them in short polite fixed phrases. I know that I could change 别 into 不 in those phrases too.

So what's the difference between those words?

share|improve this question

Welcome to the site. An upvote to get you started. – Tom Au Feb 4 at 20:18 –  Tom Au Feb 10 '12 at 1:24

2 Answers 2

up vote 8 down vote accepted

不 means "not" and 别 means "do not." One is a simple negation, and the other is a (negative) command.

share|improve this answer
To add more background to this answer, it might help if you know that 别 is actually a contraction of 不要. (Note that this usage is separate from the original usage of 别 meaning "other".) –  Claw Feb 4 '12 at 20:33
Don't forget, @Claw, you can also add your own answer if you have extra information. –  Don Kirkby Feb 5 '12 at 6:13

@DonKirkby: Yep, I'm aware; I just felt that my supplement didn't add significantly more information to merit it's own response and that Tom's response sufficiently answered the question anyway. –  Claw Feb 5 '12 at 20:13

@Claw Where did you learn that? I'm curious. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 22 '12 at 9:27
@StumpyJoePete: I don't exactly remember where I learned it, but I've seen it variously mentioned by teachers and on the Internet. Interestingly, in trying to find a more authoritative source, I came upon a paper (dspace.xmu.edu.cn/dspace/bitstream/2288/1220/1/…) that acknowledges the common belief that 别 is a contraction 不要, but instead argues that it is actually a contraction of 不必. –  Claw Jun 23 '12 at 21:02

Put it in simple words: 不 means "not" while 别 means "don't do something", it is also good to compare them with another negation word:没有, which literally means lack of the action:having, so in other words it means don't have or doesn't have. Don't forget in Chinese we don't conjugate the verbs.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.