Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I learned 接着 a while ago, and the CEDICT definition is as follows:

to catch and hold on / to continue / to go on to do sth / to follow / to carry on / then / after that / subsequently / to proceed / to ensue / in turn / in one's turn

Today I encountered 继续 for the first time, and it has this definition:

to continue / to proceed with / to go on with

Are they mostly interchangeable? It looks like 接着 has a few more meanings, but are there any situations where 继续 is preferred? Are there any differences in tone or formality?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Both of "接着" and "继续" can mean "to continue"(of course,either of them has other meanings), in this case, I would say "接着" must have an infinitive while "继续" may not have. Examples:

现在太晚了,明天再接着写吧。 Right It's too late now. [I suggest you]continue to write tomorrow.
现在太晚了,明天再继续写吧。 Right It's too late now. [I suggest you]continue to write tomorrow.
现在太晚了,明天再继续吧。 Right It's too late now. [I suggest you]continue tomorrow.
现在太晚了,明天再接着吧。 Wrong

share|improve this answer

except the meaning 'catch something', 接着 usually has a function as 'then' in English. 继续 means 'go on', 'continue'.

接着 has the connotation of "picking up," after an interruption. Sometimes it could refer to "passing the baton" to another person.

继续 also means continue, but without the "picking up" connotation.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.