Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The dictionary lists both Middle East and Eastern China for 中东. Is one of these meanings more common? What would be a native speaker's first impression of the word? Does the meaning vary from mainland, Taiwan, S'pore etc?

UPDATE: I have since removed the meaning "Eastern China" from CC-CEDICT

share|improve this question

+1 Interesting question :D –  Alenanno Feb 9 '12 at 9:43
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted
  1. In all the news reports in Mainland China, "中东" refers to Middle East. This can be seen as a convention -- as a native speaker, if I hear "中东", I will definately think of the Middle East. You can take a look at the Wikipedia Page of 中东, and the Baidu Baike Page of 中东. Only one meaning is referred on both pages -- Middle East.

2. If anyone wants to refer to Eastern China, they will say "中国东部(地区)". The dictionary lists Eastern China for "中东", which looks like a result from translation software... So the dictionary makes a mistake.

I don't know if 中东 has any other meaning in Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. But when I search for 中东, I also noticed that in Japanese, the combination of these two Characters also refers to Middle East.

share|improve this answer

okay cool.. If might submit an edit to CC-CEDICT then (removing Eastern China) –  trideceth12 Feb 9 '12 at 6:17

I think the dictionary makes a mistake as I can't find any clue of using 中东 to describe East China... I personally have never heard anyone using the word like this... –  coolcfan Feb 9 '12 at 6:23

I edited the dictionary accordingly –  trideceth12 Feb 9 '12 at 10:50
add comment

When you only see "中东", that means "the Middle East".

When you want to express the "middle east area of China", you should say"中东部" or "中东部地区", never say "中东". “部”here means "part", so "中东部" gets the meaning of "the middle east part[of this country, China]".

share|improve this answer

And 中东部地区 != Eastern China. So the dictionary made a mistake. –  coolcfan Feb 9 '12 at 6:29
Another word for eastern China, in the narrower sense of the area around Shanghai, is 华东. –  Bathrobe Feb 9 '12 at 7:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.