Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What characters are depicted on this old jar? My (art-)sources have all different opinions: "fu2 shou4 an1 kang1" or "fu2 lu4 shou4 xi3" or 4 x shou4 or "fu2 shou4 kang1 ning2" and all without telling which tree is what character.

enter image description here

share|improve this question

Claw's answer is good. He is not sure that the last character is "寧(simplified:宁)", and I also doubt it. That character seems like “樂(simplified:乐)” to me, which means "happy,delightful". Look at the bottom part of that tree, it looks like "木", right? –  Huang Feb 13 '12 at 13:02

2 Answers 2

It should be 福壽康寧 (fú shòu kāng níng; simplified: 福寿康宁).

I'm pretty certain about the first 3; 寧 is the only one that is hard to tell, but based on context, it should be 寧.

EDIT: And this is what it means: good fortune, long life, health and peace

share|improve this answer

I did some more research regarding the fourth character and found this in a book I did buy in China. scan chinese book

I can't read it (I'm collecting art...) but recognize the 寿 (shou) between quotes, so is it 寿 in a different way of writing as 3 ? But then some time ago a Dutch professor in Chinese suggested 喜, Huang thinks it's 乐 and Claw 寧. So the mystery remains...

share|improve this answer

Alenanno? I didn't say anything on the characters. Maybe you mean Huang... Anyway, please post a complete answer, don't address part of the question. –  Alenanno Feb 14 '12 at 10:52

@Alenanno: Sorry, saw your name as the one who 'edited' my question, overlooked that Huang added the comment. And I thought it could be helpful to post the conflicting answers I found elsewhere. –  Henry vM Feb 14 '12 at 11:42

It is helpful! I was just saying that you could add something about the other characters too. :) –  Alenanno Feb 14 '12 at 11:43

Hmm... if the 4th one is 寿, I wonder if the 3rd one could be 寧 instead. –  Claw Feb 20 '12 at 19:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.