Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone please clarify how and when 做 is used to mean "to be" e.g.

不愿做奴隶人们

I am familiar with 做 meaning "to do" or "to make", and I would expect that if I was saying "I am a slave", “我是一个奴隶“ would be preferable to “我做一个奴隶“

Why is 做 used in the first instance?

share|improve this question

In my short experience with chinese, I've seen 做 used as to do in terms of work or activity, so maybe slavery is considered as such, and then, instead of being a slave, in chinese you say do slavery (as an activity) –  Petruza Feb 15 '12 at 13:30

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%81%9A I think this wiktionary page can explain something~ 做: 1. work, make; 2. act –  coolcfan Feb 16 '12 at 3:53

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

"做" has a meaning of "充当,担任" (serves as, work as) (from 现代汉语词典 Modern Chinese Dictionary). It is different from "是" (to be).

The nuance of English and Chinese here is a little different. In Chinese, we don't say "I don't want to be [a slave]" (我不愿是[奴隶]). It is always "I don't want to serve as (become, etc.) a slave" (我不愿做(成为)奴隶).

share|improve this answer

做 also means '(to) do' in 不愿意做奴隶的人们, you can try to translate it like this: the folks who doesn't want to do a slaver('s job). more examples: 我长大之后要做医生 I want to [be a doctor]/[do a doctor's job] when I grow up. 做 means some kind of action, while 是 means it's a state.

In this context, 做 means "to function as." 不愿做奴隶人们 means, "I don't want to function as (do the role of) a slave."

The idiomatic English expression would be "I don't want to BE a slave."

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.