English has take the weight off your feet or cop a squat as a colloquialisms meaning take a seat. I've heard Canadian-French has the expression to grab some wood, or more literally to pull oneself a log (tire-toi une bûche!) meaning to take a seat.

What colloquialisms exist in Chinese to ask/tell someone to take a seat? (if any(?))

Even in classical Chinese,it use . So I can't think up the replace of .
    – zzy
    Jan 27, 2015 at 11:07
  • I've never heard "pop a squat," only "cop a squat". There is some contention on the internet, but many are saying "pop a squat" means to squat and urinate/defecate. Just ... putting it out there.
    – Ming
    Jan 28, 2015 at 0:12
  • @Ming fixed. Thx.
    – Mou某
    Jan 28, 2015 at 2:34
  • I mostly wanted to write a comment about urinating and defecating ... but thanks :P
    – Ming
    Jan 28, 2015 at 2:36

3 Answers 3

There is no colloquialisms equivalent of 请坐 in Chinese.

Best I can think of are: 请入座, 请坐吧, 坐下吧, 入座 In ancient china, the emperor would say 赐坐

歇脚, lit. "rest one's feet". Usually this word is used when someone has been on their feet for a long time.

• On line this usually refers to a stop over, or a pause from shopping. Jan 28, 2015 at 2:05
  • 找个歇脚的地方 means to find a hotel while travelling.
    – PdotWang
    Feb 4, 2015 at 19:22

briefly , in chinese there are two words with the same pronouciation , "坐" and "座" . 坐 means "to sit" and 座 means "seat" ( notice the common structure ) . and the word 请 ( as of modern use ) means "allow me let you do xxx" in a polite manner .

so 请坐 is literally "allow me let you sit down" but is generally interpreted as "please sit down" . and 请就座 is literally "allow me let you move yourself approaching some seat" i.e. "please take seats/a seat" .

more often in daily conversations we say 请坐 .

a typical usecase 请就座 is , when the speaker is host of some gathering , and plural people are entering through a door , the speaker may say 请就座 after greeting them . this sounds more formal .

both terms are used not affected either for lower class speaking to higher class , or for higher class speaking to lower class .

though syntactically by 请坐 the we assume the listener(s) is(are) close to the seat(s) and by 请就座 we assume the listener(s) is(are) away from the seat(s) , this is not usually a big factor of how we determine which phase to say .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.