Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I say "Like I said...", or "As I said", in Chinese. For example:

A: I've never been to China.

B: What do you think of Chinese culture?

A: Like I said, I've never been to China.

share|improve this question

Trideceth, can you please show what you tried before asking? As per the FAQ, requesting translations without showing effort is off topic. :) It's ok if you didn't find anything, but at least show it! :P –  Alenanno Feb 23 '12 at 19:53

@Alenanno I reckon "translation" refers to whole phrases, whereas this is about a specific idiom :) I would agree if I had asked for a translation of an entire phrase. Plus.. we need many many more questions per day if we want to pass beta (bad excuse but I know... but we do :D –  trideceth12 Feb 25 '12 at 0:17

Actually I gave it a thought after I asked, and yes, in your case the rule is less strict, as I don't think there are many places where to look for idioms, but you know, it's good to see some effort anyway. –  Alenanno Feb 25 '12 at 0:26

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Here is a full translation of your conversation.

A: 我从没去过中国。
B: 你对中国文化有什么看法
A: 正如我说过的,我从没去过中国。

As you can see, "like I said" is "正如我说过的" in Chinese. A word-to-word translation would be

"like" ⟶ "正如/就如/就像"
I ⟶ "我"
"said" ⟶ "说过的".

share|improve this answer

A direct way of saying it would be “我说了”, though it sometimes suggests that the speaker is impatient/angry or high in the social hierarchy (teachers, bosses, etc).

Kejia, do you mind expanding on your answer? For example, why this expression? What does it have more than others? –  Alenanno Feb 25 '12 at 0:27

Mostly nonsense. He is complaining about the at-least-30-characters-rule. –  ziyuang Feb 27 '12 at 14:28

After the edit by gonnastop, this answer seems to be the most natural/native way. the more impatient/angry way is 我不是说了吗!. –  Mengdi Gao Apr 21 '12 at 3:07

Another suggested translation would be 像我刚说的 (as I just said) or 像我说过的 (as I have said).

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.