Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any way to refer to someones family member, lets say brother, who's relative age I am unaware of and consequently am unable to decisively call 弟弟 or 哥哥?

Is there some sort of rule, like assume they are older?

share|improve this question

Can you provide a typical scenario ? –  Spirit Zhang May 24 '12 at 12:03
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

There's no rule in a such situation. You can always ask politely or figure out the relationship from conversations.

But there's no harm in assuming they're younger than you or the person introducing you and that family member, especially that relative is a female ;)

share|improve this answer
add comment

let me use "him" to instead of the "someone", "other one" instead of "his family member", than suppose that other one is male. ccording to what you say.you must have a good relationship with him

if he haven't introduced other one yet, you could ask him

“他是你弟弟/哥哥? 他叫什么名字? 我比他大吗?”

so than, you could decisively call other one "弟弟/哥哥“

unless other one is older than you, you can call "哥哥” consequently. otherwise if other one is younger than you. i think call the first name is better, or the nick name which "he" call other one. just follow him.

add comment

You could use the terms 兄弟 and 姐妹.

For example, lets say you know 小明 and 小華 are brothers but don't know who is older. You could then say

小明跟小華是兄弟

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.