Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The image below is from a book I bought while in Hong Kong (ISBN 957-14-4160-0. It's an edition of a work in classical Chinese, with an ancient commentary in classical Chinese, and a modern commentary in mandarin. The book is published in Taiwan.

I have looked all through the book for any mention of the typefaces used to typeset the book, and have not found one.

what nice characters

I am basically in love with the typeface used for the mandarin commentary. I have never seen anything quite like it. The characters are rectangular, and usually 'top-heavy'. Since some of them are quite similar to handwritten forms I have developed over time, I would like to be able to use the font on my computer.

Can anyone help identify it?

share|improve this question
According to this thread ( pkucn.com/viewthread.php?tid=243063 ), this font is developed by San Min Book Co., Ltd. for their own publications only, and may not be available for selling. –  Silvia Jun 30 '12 at 17:27
add comment

2 Answers

How about axisstd-extralight?

share|improve this answer

It's probably close enough, but not quite identical. If you try a sample character like 的, you'll see that the left side has two strokes that cross below the bottom stroke in the font that magnetar posted, but only one stroke does in axisstd-extralight. –  Don Kirkby Apr 7 '12 at 5:18
add comment

This one is also very similar:

金梅個性钢笔字体

share|improve this answer
add comment

protected by Alenanno Apr 7 '12 at 17:29

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.