他是一个不负责的人,(要/想) 当我们的经理。

Which is the right optative verb to use?

• 要 means 'ask for' 想 means 'wanna'
    – ooooh326
    Sep 9, 2015 at 15:53
  • 要 could also mean 'will be'.
    – NS.X.
    Sep 9, 2015 at 21:13
    their meaning is different,see e。g。"实用现代汉语语法"第二编 词类 第四章 动词 第六节 能源动词 三、能源动词分类(一)要1。表示有做某事的意思。例如:1他看我年纪大了,没月都把要买的东西送来。2毕业以后,我还要回到农村来。3你们要把愫方怎么样?4这个孩子,今天要去动物园不可。表示否定意思时北方人不用"不要",而用"不想"、"不打算"。例如:5甲:他要去东北,你呢?乙:我不想去东北。6甲:今天晚上我要看电影,你看不看?乙:我不打算看。南方人可以说"不要"。例如:7。这种滥电影我不要看。8我不要吃这么甜的东西。2。表示事实上或情理上的需要,有"应该、需要"的意思,多用于未然的情况。例如:1这么好的青年,当然要表扬了。2你不要送了,把大娘交给我了。3这个方法也要介绍到老百姓那里去。4要建立和健全合理的规章制度。5干活的时候可要用脑子好好想一想。3。表示"可能"、"会"的意思,但语气比"可能","会"更肯定。例如:1。你这样自以为是是要栽跟头的。2脱离群众,十个有十个要失败。表达否定的意思用"不会"、"不可能"。例如:3甲:你这样固执是要出问题的!乙:你放心,不会(不可能)出问题。4。用来表示一种看法、估计,用于比较句。例如:1天气预报说今天气温上升,我怎么觉得今天比昨天要冷一点呢?2报告说明年的经济形势要比今年好。3我觉得姐姐要比妹妹聪明。
    – user6065
    Sep 9, 2015 at 22:19
  • According to the context, both are possible.
    – user4072
    Sep 10, 2015 at 2:31
    This is a very odd sentence to me as a native Chinese speaker, it's better to put 但 or 还 in the middle.
    – CYC
    Sep 11, 2015 at 23:15

4 Answers 4

You should use the word "想" in this case. I think the sentence you're trying to write is:

He is an irresponsible person, he thinks he is our boss / manager.

Using the word "要" in this context speaking about an "irresponsible person" doesn't make sense.

In the sentence "他是一个不负责的人,(要/想) 当我们的经理", there is difference between "要" and "想". "要" may mean "will" (将要), while "想" means "want".

Actually "要/想" are both OK, it depends on what you mean in this sentence.

I guess you mean he is not responsible, "but" he wants to be the manager, in which case I suggest you use "想"; if you mean he will be, use "要".

In fact, adding a “但” in front of “要/想” can better express the meaning.

It depends on what meaning you want to express.
If the man will supposedly be your manager, use 要. However, I feel this expression is slightly unnatural.
If the man is eager to be your manager (although he lacks sense of responsibility), use 想.
And...if thinking in a typical Chinese way, this sentence may come out of a test paper...
I recommend 想, for it seems to be more "optative".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.