Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I struggle a bit to get my head around tenses in Mandarin, and in particular when I need to use 了 (le).

Do you have any tips, examples or resources to help me out with this?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 16 down vote accepted

Usually 了 is used to indicate past tense (or the completion of). Such as:

我吃了

了 is added to the end of the sentence that change the statement to past tense. You can add 过 before 了 to add emphasis.

E.g., 我吃了 (I ate) vs. 我吃过了 (I have (already) eaten.)

but 了 may be used for different reasons, some of which have nothing to do with past tense.

With imperatives, it adds urgency:

走了, 走了

(Let's) go, (let's) go.

So, a negative imperative becomes a warning:

别说话

(Keep quiet.)

vs.

别说话了

(I'm warning you [to]) stop talking!

With certain modifiers you can use 了 to indicate future tense:

天就要下雨了(it's raining soon)

Here 要 (an auxiliary verb) indicates future tense, by implying the sense of "going to do (something)." 會 is another auxiliary verb that does the same thing, but in the sense of "intending to do (something)."

了 when used after an adjective or noun, conveys the meaning "has become"

我餓 (I'm hungry)

vs.

我餓了 (I became hungry)

Here 了 expresses a clear (change of) state.

了 can also be used to express excessiveness.

太 + (stative verb/adjective/noun) + 了. E.g., 太冷了.

(stative verb/adjective/noun) + 极了. E.g., 热极了.

可 + (stative verb/adjective/noun) + 了. E.g., 可难了.

太 can be used without 了. If omitted, the tone can sound rather rough.

share|improve this answer

"With certain modifiers you can use 了 to indicate future tense" - yikes! This really is going to take some time to get my head round :} –  Cocowalla Dec 13 '11 at 22:37
Basically if 要/會/就/快 appears before the verb or any time specification appears before the subject (except with 快), 了 can be used to indicate future tense. But with 快, you can't use a construct of time like the word "yesterday." There are other verbs when used as a modal do the same/similar things, but these are usually the most common ones. –  Krazer Dec 13 '11 at 23:09
I think sometimes the 了 is used just because it sounds right. –  Matthew Rudy 马泰 Dec 14 '11 at 6:17

I think you can also use 了 when expressing surprise or emphasis. e.g. 太好了! Although in this case its use is within an idiomatic expression and should therefore be learnt as a unit. –  jaffa Jan 3 '12 at 23:35

The particle 了 (le) suggests a completed action. For example,

Chi fan le, finished eating.

I understand that, but from other uses I've seen it appears to be more complex than that –  Cocowalla Dec 13 '11 at 22:35

@Cocowalla: Yes, there are more complex usages. I've given you the simplest one. –  Tom Au Dec 13 '11 at 22:36

@Cocowalla Chi Fan Le DO NOT means finished eating. Instead that, like a mom want to call for her children to eat: "孩子们,吃饭了"(boys, time for meal) –  AntiGameZ Dec 14 '11 at 10:49

@AntiGameZ what about nǐ chī le ma? - does that not mean, have you eaten? –  Cocowalla Dec 14 '11 at 11:03

@Cocowalla no, 了 in 你吃了吗 means have you eaten, which suggests a completed action. –  AntiGameZ Dec 14 '11 at 11:08

了 is often used in the past tense, but should not be confused with 过. 了 implies a recent change that might still be in effect, while 过 is further in the past and is no longer in effect.

Example:

我坐了 I have sat down (and am still sitting)

我坐过 I have sat down (and am no longer sitting)

You can also use it with 太 to put emphasis on something.

Example:

太冷了 Too cold!

In your 太冷了 example, does have any effect on the tense of that statement? –  Cocowalla 2 days ago

@Cocowalla The way I understand it, you have to add 了, otherwise it will sound weird to native speakers. –  Friso1990 6 hours ago

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.