Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How to say that the lowest temperature will be around 0°C (e.g. -1°C ~ 1°C)?

My attempt is:

最低气温会成0°C左右。

share|improve this question

You almost got it right! :) –  Alenanno May 8 '12 at 10:37
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

As fefe has mentioned, you could use “”…左右 /上下/ 附近 to describe a range near some position, somewhat like describing locations.

最低氣溫 0 度左右; 蛋白質凝固的溫度 65 度上下

It is not needed for exact values.

現在室溫 7 度; 冷凍室的溫度是 -20 度。

For estimated values, you may also use 約 (about) to indicate uncertainty.

最低溫為零度。

It is worth noting that Celsius is omitted in all examples above, since Celsius is usually the only tempreture scale employed. Other scales, such as Fahrenheit and Kelvin, only exist in special contexts like academic research. You may use …°C (pronounced “度 C”) or 攝氏…度 if explicitness is needed.

Here is an example video for daily usages. In this weather forecast (YouTube video) of Next TV, Taiwan, the reporter uses

白天最高溫降到只有 24 度左右

to express the tempreture lowers to tempretures near 24°C.

Sidenote: Please note that she also uses

最低溫下探 17 度。

to indicate the lowest temperature would touch a lower bound of 17°C. This is mainly used in Taiwan for weather and stock reports. It is not used in China and usually would be interpreted as lower by 17 degrees rather than lower to 17°C.

share|improve this answer

I've never heard "下探" used in this way. –  fefe May 10 '12 at 1:46

I usually hear it in news reports like this weather report and this report about oil price. –  Hans Tzou May 10 '12 at 6:02
Notice that the weather report is from Taiwan, where different expression maybe used from Beijing. I'm not familiar with expressions used in Taiwan, but I doubt it should mean the temperature "lowered by" 10 degrees instead of "lowered to" 10 degrees. As for the report about oil price, I still fill it wired. "下探" can be used for prices for oil, stock market, etc, but usually without a number. –  fefe May 10 '12 at 6:38

Thanks, fefe. I check that with my friend from Beijing and you're right. I'll correct it. –  Hans Tzou May 10 '12 at 10:34

+1 This is the type of answers I want to see! Nice, elaborated answers! :D –  Alenanno May 10 '12 at 10:40
show 1 more comment

We would say

最低气温 0 度左右

where the 'will be' is ignored. Furthermore,

0 度左右

becomes the predicate.

add comment

There is only one defect in your attempt, we would say:

最低气温会 0°C左右。

One thing: in Chinese, do you read the "C" part? –  Alenanno May 8 '12 at 10:37

Usually, it is just read as "度". The full name is "摄氏度". "°F" is read as "华氏度". –  fefe May 8 '12 at 11:46
To expand on what @fefe said: if you are specifying the number as well, you generally place it before the 度. In this example, 0°C would typically be read as 摄氏零度. –  Claw May 8 '12 at 22:53

@Claw I have no problem with "零摄氏度". In fact I always place the number before "摄氏". –  fefe May 9 '12 at 1:00

@fefe: Ah, I just checked and instances of "摄氏零度" and "零摄氏度" appear to be roughly equal in Google. I wonder if it's probably a regional preference. –  Claw May 9 '12 at 1:22
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.