Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm writing a program and need to know how dates, versions, time, and numbers are formatted in the Chinese Language

Example (in English)

Version 1.0.0 (Build 0)

How would that look in Chinese?

share|improve this question

Does the language you're using not handle this automatically, based on the current locale? –  Michael Robinson May 14 '12 at 2:40

No, I am using C# and there is no build in version format function AFAIK –  Cole Johnson May 14 '12 at 3:45
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Micheal's answer is good, but it's from a programmer point of view. Mine's from a Mandarin speaker's point of view.

Version: 版本
Major version: 主版本
Minor version: 子版本
Revision: 修正版本
Build: 编译版本
Number: 号

According to Baidu

GNU Style
  zh: 主版本号.子版本号[.修正版本号[.编译版本号]]
  en: Major_Version_Number.Minor_Version_Number[.Revision_Number[.Build_Number]]
  e.g.: 1.2.1, 2.0, 5.0.0 build-13124

Windows Style
  zh: 主版本号.子版本号[修正版本号[.编译版本号]]
  en: Major_Version_Number.Minor_Version_Number[Revision_Number[.Build_Number]]
  e.g.: 1.21, 2.0

.Net Framework Style
  zh: 主版本号.子版本号[.编译版本号[.修正版本号]]
  en: Major_Version_Number.Minor_Version_Number[.Build_Number[.Revision_Number]] 
   e.g.: 1.3.4.2

This is a straight copy and paste so I don't take any credit for it. You should be able to match them up individually without needing any knowledge of Chinese.

share|improve this answer

Is 版本1.0.0(0编译版本号) a readable version label for you? I think he's looking for the Chinese equivalent to Version 1.0.0 (Build 0) –  Michael Robinson May 14 '12 at 4:22

I'd probably write it like this (I've never localized any of my software in Chinese, so this is just a guess): 版本1.0.0(编译版本号:0) –  deutschZuid May 14 '12 at 4:25

I'm guessing that this is what he's after –  Michael Robinson May 14 '12 at 4:26

Or he could just write it as: 版本1.0.0.0 :-). –  deutschZuid May 14 '12 at 4:27

Fairly certain he could get away with v.1.0.0 (0) without causing too much confusion as well –  Michael Robinson May 14 '12 at 4:29
show 3 more comments

Sounds like you should investigate the localization features of your language.

Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo("zh-CN");
string version = strings.Version.replace('%version%', '1.0.0');
version = version.replace('%build%', '0');
Console.WriteLine(version);

With the information given in James Jiao's answer & comments, your Chinese version string and its English equivalent could be:

版本%version%(编译版本号:%build%)
Version %version% (Build %build%)

For more information on localization in C#, refer to:

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.