Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you refer to a specific great-grandparent? Does Chinese language has all 8 relationship titles to refer to one of them?

share|improve this question

What do you refert to by all 8 relationship? –  Huang May 16 '12 at 5:10

dusan means whether there's different words for: mother's mother's mother, mother's mother's father, mother's father's mother, etc. in the same way that we distinguish 祖母, 外祖母, etc. –  jogloran May 16 '12 at 6:25
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The answer is yes.

曾 is for paternal paternal ancestors, 曾外 for paternal maternal ancestors, 外曾 for maternal paternal ancestors, and 外曾外 for maternal maternal ancestors.

share|improve this answer

This is one of the aspects of Chinese that I don't think I'll ever nail down –  Michael Robinson May 16 '12 at 8:32
I just wanted to add that the Wikipedia article on Chinese kinship (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…) has tables of the various familial relationship terms. –  Claw May 16 '12 at 9:56

That wiki-page is really interesting. –  BertR May 16 '12 at 10:49

Another fun fact: kinship systems like Chinese in which each relation has a separate name are known as Sudanese, presumably after an archetypal instance. –  jogloran May 16 '12 at 12:08
add comment

曾祖父, 曾祖母, 外曾祖父, and 外曾祖母 are only used in formal writings.

Paternal great-grandparents are 太爷爷/太奶奶.

(To help you memorize them, 爷爷 and 奶奶 are paternal grandparents.)

Maternal great-grandparents are 太姥爷/太姥姥 in the north and 太公公/太婆婆 in the south.

(姥爷/姥姥 and 公公(外公)/婆婆 (外婆)are maternal grandparents.)

I expect these terms to vary greatly in different regions and families. I was told to somehow call my maternal great-grandmother 太太, which also means "lady."

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.