Both 试验 and 实验 seems to be translated into "experiment". What is the difference between the two words? Can they be used interchangeably or not?

• I thought you were native Chinese born and raised near Beijing? On Baidu there are many pages explaining the difference.
    – BertR
    May 25, 2012 at 12:56
    Anyone can propose a question here even he knows the answer already, as long as the question can benefit the community. This site is a little quiet now and I think more such questions are welcomed,at least in my opinion.
    – Huang
    May 25, 2012 at 14:33
  • Well said, Huang!
    – Alenanno
    May 25, 2012 at 21:37
    @BertR I am a native. But one day I came cross this I had to reference a dictionary. So I think this would benefit the learners also.
    – fefe
    May 26, 2012 at 3:27
  • Me too, I mess up these two since I was in 珊瑚實驗小學 and later 某中學實驗班
    – George
    Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20

2 Answers 2

实验 is used for operations and activities done to test a scientific theory or hypothesis. An example: 经过反复实验,证明这一结论是正确的

试验 is used to inspect the function or effect of some physical thing (something that already exists). It's typically done in some lab. Some examples:

• 新农药要经过反复试验才能推广
  • 试验新机器
  • 新办法试验后推广

Simply put:

实验 - An experiment

试验 - A trial

• butwho, Welcome to Chinese SE. As the note below says, when providing an answer, please try to provide context/reasoning behind why you've answered as you have. Otherwise, you can leave a comment. Thanks
    – user3871
    Aug 19, 2013 at 12:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.