Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In particular, in the song 耶稣喜爱世上小孩, the second line 世上所有的小孩 sounds as though it were pronounced shìshàng suóyǒu dì xiǎohái. Is that correct? Thank you for your help; my ear for Chinese is not yet well developed.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Stan, congusbongus, songyuanyao, Community Feb 29 at 16:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Your question has been discussed before, please see: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/318/… – Drunken Master Feb 27 at 18:49
Ah, thank you @DrunkenMaster for pointing me to that question; I didn't find it before. That discussion (along with the comments here) is very helpful. Since it's beens so thoroughly answered before, maybe someone with a higher rep can close/flag my question as already answered? – amoss Feb 27 at 19:12

If it's on a downbeat, accented note, then definitely "di". If it's short and unaccented, then it really does not matter. It's probably why you could not tell when you heard it. If you are singing, sing "di" to play safe.

share|improve this answer

的 is usually pronounced "de" (as in French), but in songs it is commonly pronounced "di".

de silent tone(轻声)

di is more like a dialect.

Try:

[d]

It is a very silent sound.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.