During studying 条 character in one of the dictionaries I have found decomposition of this character to two components:

• 夂 zhǐ: to go
  • 木 mù: tree; wood (Kangxi radical 75)

I see the 夂 component but I am not sure of 木. Should it not be 小 or something similar instead to 木? When I've enlarged the font it resembles 小 without the horizontal stroke.

• Even after the form changing process, it still resembles 小 with a horizontal stroke. Why do you say it's without a horizontal stroke?
    – Betty
    Jun 6, 2012 at 4:45

3 Answers 3

条's radical is 木. That's an established fact. Just consult any Chinese dictionary. It's derived from 条's old form (旧字形), which lacks the tick.

• I'm not sure what you mean by "the tick" when you say the traditional form would not have the tick. Could you include a form of the character with and without the tick? I found the simplified version, 条, and the traditional version, 條, but the traditional form has more strokes, not fewer.
    – Don Kirkby
    Jun 7, 2012 at 20:11
  • He said old = 旧字形, not traditional = 繁体字. Here's a link with some older forms and a character analysis. This one is particularly clear. Jun 21, 2012 at 12:33
  • I was partially wrong. I removed the part about the tick not being present in texts from regions outside mainland China. My memory played a trick on me there. Jun 21, 2012 at 20:40
  • Looks like it's not present in Japanese use of the character (same Unicode code point, different fonts, so I can only give a link ) Jun 22, 2012 at 3:06
  • Hmm... I just looked it up on Wiktionary en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%9D%A1 and it seems that my original speculation was correct. It might also have to do with the font used. I will have to confirm with someone who uses the Traditional Chinese script natively. Jun 22, 2012 at 4:20

That decomposition is incorrect.

「条」is shorthand for「條」(Pinyin: tiáo, Baxter-Sagart Old Chinese: /*[l]ˤiw/, /*lˤiw/), which is composed of phonetic「攸」(Pinyin: yōu, Baxter-Sagart Old Chinese: /*liw/) and semantic「木」(wood).「木」sometimes looks like「ホ」when written on the bottom of characters; exact shapes vary between the standards of different regions.

The appearance of「夂」is a writing convention;「夂」doesn't contribute any semantic or phonetic function in「条」. At most, it can be seen as an abbreviation of「攸」.

It has to be 木, 条 means 'twig' originally

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.