Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to describe a puppet show we saw. It was in a theatre and performed by professional puppeteers. I found three terms for puppet: 人形, 木偶, and 傀儡. I couldn't find anything for puppeteer.

Here's my wild guess at saying, "We saw a puppet show. The puppeteers were from Taiwan."


share|improve this question
Yes, there doesn't seem to be a word for putteteer. Before I've seen people use 操纵木偶的人. – BertR Jun 7 '12 at 5:30
up vote 1 down vote accepted

A "puppet show" can be called 木偶戏, 木偶剧, 傀儡戲、人偶戲、or 人偶劇 .

You can refer specifically to a puppeteer as 操纵木偶者 or simply (遮蔽)操纵者. But to refer to puppeteers in general, I feel that 操纵木偶的艺人(们) would be more appropriate.

So for your phrase, one way of saying it would be 我们去看了一个木偶戏/剧。操纵木偶的艺人们是从台湾来的。

share|improve this answer
Thanks, my teacher was really impressed with the vocabulary when I gave my presentation, so I confessed that I had help. – Don Kirkby Jun 11 '12 at 5:35

Perhaps 操偶師 ?

It literally means "the master who controls the puppet."

share|improve this answer
Doesn't seem to be used in mainland China. – deutschZuid Jun 10 '12 at 23:21
@JamesJiao Actually it's okay, but most used in formal occasion or in writting. – Shou Ya Jun 11 '12 at 3:58
Thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the Chinese Language Stack Exchange site. – Don Kirkby Jun 11 '12 at 5:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.