Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a translation of the word kosher in it's most strict sense: a food that is apt according to the jewish law.

Google translates kosher as 犹太, but if I'm not mistaken, that just means "jewish". And you can certainly make non-kosher jewish food.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

you can use "犹太式的" for kosher, "式" means style, or "犹太风格的" for the same meaning

share|improve this answer

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

add comment

since there are few jews living in china, I don't think there's a term for "kosher". the official translation is highly probably "犹太认证的", and "犹太食品" for kosher foods. however, for islamic food, they do have terms like 清真的, 清真食品 to refer to

This Hudong entry backs up your answer. –  Krazer Jun 20 '12 at 0:40
add comment

Depending on the context, there are different strategies for translating this word. In the most strict sense, leaving nothing unsaid, it is (符)合犹太教规的 when it comes to food preparation. If reference to 犹太教 isn't essential to the context, it can simply be 合礼法的, because the notion of doing things according to 礼法 is prevalent in Chinese culture.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.