What could be a correct word to replace "x" in the question?

你要换这个东西 "X" 那个吗? (Do you want to exchange this for that?)

• answer in dictionaries, e.g. feed "exchange for" to jukuu
    – user6065
    May 4, 2016 at 18:20
  • E.g. 你要把这个东西换那个吗?
    – imrek
    May 4, 2016 at 18:23
    as in comment #2, X is usually replaced by nothing, but with different position for verb 换, 你要这个东西换那个,cf。jukuu: He gave me an apple in exchange for a cake. 3。他给我一个苹果,换一块蛋糕。8. I'll give you three sweets in exchange for an apple. 我拿三块糖换你一个苹果。 换A成/为B, A=这个东西,B=那个 also possible, (e.g.currency)
    – user6065
    May 4, 2016 at 19:09
  • This is not a natural speaking, so I can not find a word for X. It will be better: 你要用这个东西换那个吗?
    – sfy
    May 4, 2016 at 19:33

5 Answers 5

I am come from Taiwan. 我來自台灣 In traditional,If the clerk want to check your request that you want to replace! They always said:"請問你要把"A"換成"B"嗎?" 傳統上,如果店員要確認你換貨的需求.他們會說:"請問你要把"A"換成"B"嗎?"

Do you want to exchange this for that? (你想要把這個東西和那個東西(交換/取代)嗎?) 你要换这个东西 "X" 那个吗? 參考答案: 你要换这个东西 "成為" 那个吗?

For my opinion,i will replace the 'X' with '成', by not changing the whole sentence... 你要换这个东西 "成" 那个吗? However the sentence I've mentioned sounds weird,we usually say: 你要把这个东西换成那个吗?

weird. If you want to exchange this for that, should be "你要用这个东西换那个吗"。 If you use "你要换这个东西(A) 那个(B)吗", sounds you want to exchange A+B with something else.

• thank you, the context could be, I bought a T shirt that does not fit me, I a go to speak with the seller, and he propose me to exchange it for another one. May 4, 2016 at 20:46
  • @ChristopheDebove One way to say it might be 你要把这个东西换成那个吗?(Do you intend/want to exchange this thing for that?)
    – Krazer
    May 4, 2016 at 21:04
    jukuu "exchange A for B" -> 5 example sentences,e.g. 2. exchange A for B; switch A for B;change A for B 把a换成b
    – user6065
    May 4, 2016 at 21:33
  • @ChristopheDebove What's the original sentence verbatim? It would be weird to call clothes 东西 even in colloquial language.
    – NS.X.
    May 5, 2016 at 1:52
  • @NS.X. Defenitly agree with you. I should be very rare to use 东西 for clothes. but it was just an exemple to respond the a generic issue. In my question I use 东西 to insist in that point. In my comment above I just ilustrated in which situation this interogative structure could be used. May 6, 2016 at 13:36

It's a bit awkward, but it's still valid to say 你要换这个东西跟那个吗? Another way to say it 你要把这个东西换成那个吗? Or 你要把这个东西跟那个换一下吗?

The proper way to say this would be thus:

"你要把這個東西跟那個換[ 掉] 嗎?“

If you insist on not using the "把“ construction, then you should write it thus:

“你這個東西要換那個嗎?”

• for examples of use of coverb 跟 with verb 换 (for with whom exchange occurs) cf。jukuu:你愿意跟我换一下地方吗? 大卫,我给你的盘子错了,你跟爸爸换一下好吗? 我十分愉快--这种幸福我跟谁都不换.
    – user6065
    May 10, 2016 at 12:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.