Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I ask a question like "is it really so that you're just 18?" or "is it really so that the movie was good?", i.e. a surprised question?

My guess is something along the lines of "这是真的,你只有十八岁呢?", but it sounds weird.

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It sounds weird because there is no formal subject (A.K.A. anticipatory subject) in Chinese. It is [X] that [Y] should be transformed into [Y][verb as appropriate][X] during translation。For example:

It is a pleasure to meet you. =>
Meeting you is a pleasure. =>
见到你很高兴。

So for the original sentence,

Is it really so that you're just 18? =>
Are you really just 18? =>
你真的只有18岁?
share|improve this answer

Thanks! That does indeed help a lot. –  Quispiam Jul 2 '12 at 22:58
An alternate expression: "你**当真**只有18岁?" –  Kabie Jul 3 '12 at 4:18
add comment

Generally speaking, "is it really so that…?" should be translate to "...真的...吗?".

The First sentence shuold be "你真的只有18岁?";

And the second should be "这部电影真的好看?".

Why "你**真的**只有" becomes "你*真的*只有"(只有 is displayed in italics). I must type a space after 你 and before 只有 in order to get bold style correctly. –  Liu Yongtai Jul 3 '12 at 5:18

Hi, welcome to this site! As for your question, I've suffered it too, but the moderator Alenanno gave me a good solution-just use the html tag <Strong>words</Strong> to make the words in bold. –  Huang Jul 3 '12 at 6:44

Yes, the <Strong> mark worked. I've edited my answer. –  Liu Yongtai Jul 3 '12 at 11:48
add comment

sometimes, the same structure does not mean the same way of translate.

for this question, i will translate as follow

is it really so that you're just 18? 你只有18岁?真的假的!

is it really so that the movie was good? 你确定这部电影还行?

add comment

The way I've had Chinese people express surprise to me is to use 这么. For example:

你是18岁?这么年轻!看不出来!

I realize that this is different than the sentence structure that you gave (and that NS.X. helped clarify) but I find that in my interactions with Chinese, they're more apt to follow their question of disbelief with an exclamation describing their reaction in order to express their surprise.

你是18岁 sounds awkward. Maybe “你才18岁”? –  gonnastop Jul 3 '12 at 14:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.