Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When addressing a female, do I have to use 妳 instead of 你?

How common is the usage of 妳?

share|improve this question

As far as I'm aware these are two characters for the same word with the same pronunciation and tone. Normally we only address people in speech so it wouldn't actually make any difference unless you are writing a note or sign addressing somebody directly. But then again maybe you really mean "to refer to ..." and not "to address ..."? –  hippietrail Feb 17 at 10:03

5 Answers 5

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Mainland China doesn't use 妳 anymore. 妳 is mostly used in Hong Kong and Taiwan where they still use Traditional Chinese.

As you mentioned in the question, 妳 is used to address a female person. In mainland China, people use 你 for both males and females.

Note: the right hand side of 你 or 妳 is 尔. In Traditional Chinese, 尔 is written as 爾. However, as far as I know, 你 and 妳 in Traditional Chinese are not written as 儞 not 嬭 but just 你 and 妳.

share|improve this answer

ha, here is the reason for my impression. Another question would be, if 妳 can be replaced by 你 in traditional Chinese? –  Flake Dec 15 '11 at 0:48

As far as I know, in traditional Chinese 你 can be used for both male/female (ie. to some extent it is gender neutral). However, 妳 is only used for female (similar to 他 and 她). –  pyko Dec 18 '11 at 10:13

Two more for you: 祢 --> You (God), 您 --> You (higher) They are still used in China. In China, we don't use 你 for both male and female. –  Derek 朕會功夫 Jun 14 '12 at 20:36

Usage of 妳 is very common in Taiwan, but 你 is also okay.

In mainland China, no dictionaries have the Chinese characters 妳, only 你 is valid. 妳 is not acceptable at all.

In Hong Kong and Taiwan, 你 is for male while 妳 is for female.

Notice: 儞 and 嬭 are wrong, no such characters at all.

xh.5156edu.com/html3/6432.html 妳 in the 新華字典 –  dda Jun 4 at 7:56

@dda Yes, I have already known that 儞 and 嬭 exist in the Unicode code points, otherwise I am not able to type it out, but they are absolutely not legal Chinese characters. Unicode takes them just for the printing convience for textbooks to print "儞 and 嬭 are illegal characters". –  Victor Sep 3 at 16:23

@dda and I have to say that xh.5156edu.com is not 新华字典, and this is just illegally using the 新华 trademark, and it contains many Chinese charaters that do not exist in mainland Chinese dictionaries. Official Chinese dictionaries has no internet version at all. –  Victor Sep 3 at 16:28

Saying "absolutely not legal Chinese characters" is ridiculous, since they exist and are attested even in Mainland dictionaries. I have left my paper 新华字典 in Shenzhen, but the other 2 Mainland dictionaries I have here list 嬭 as a Traditional version of 奶. They put (嬭) in parens, acknowledging their existence and "conversion" to simplified 奶. There's a whole world outside post-1949 Communist China, you know... –  dda Sep 8 at 11:50

妳 is used more in Taiwan and Honk Kong where traditional Chinese is the official language while 你 is used generally to indicate both genders in mainland China where simplified Chinese is used. Actually, nowadays in Taiwan and Honk Kong more and more people use 你 for both male and female, unless in a particular situation that a man or boy is writing a love letter to his lover, 妳 would be used to show more uniqueness and respect and so forth.

妳 has nothing to do with the traditional Chinese script, but is a novelty. In fact, traditional Chinese is genderless, with 他 denoting male, female and neutral pronouns. Same for 你 and other pronouns. Gender-specific pronouns are borrowed from Western languages, where such a feature is common. Thus 妳 developed fairly recently in Taiwan and Hongkong. –  倪阔乐 May 21 at 22:37

I agree. But don't forget language is spoken by people, with time, a non-standard language usage could be standard just because it is spoken by the majority. –  ChineseHulu.com May 27 at 18:58

Not sure if it is a standard character in mainland Mandarin. I never use it in my life and have only seen it in very limited situations.

In what situations have you seen it? –  dusan Jan 22 '12 at 3:55

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.