I do a lot of writing in different languages and have keyboard input types set up with hot keys so I switch easily.

I'm currently in Taiwan studying Mandarin and added the "traditional" Chinese input type along with the "simplified" that I already had.

The problem I'm having is that the trad and simple input methods have the same icon and I sometimes don't know which one I'm on, and can easily mistake one for the other.

This isn't the end of the world, but if anyone knows a hack to change this (maybe just the color or something) I would be very happy.

enter image description here

Isn't it more effective if you ask this question over here: apple.stackexchange.com/questions
    – thinwa
    Jun 12, 2016 at 4:33
  • Yes, you're probably right. I originally posted here in case there was a built-in method. Some of the asian input methods have a lot of options....
    – pixelearth
    Jun 12, 2016 at 5:20

3 Answers 3

you can click on the icon, it should provide a drop-down menu with a bunch of preferences and options.

Select "Show Input Source Name" - then select your preferred keyboard language. It should come up with the icon, PLUS something like "Pinyin - Simplified".

This worked for me, hopefully works for you too!

Navigate to /system/library/input methods

Right click on TCIM.app and choose "show package contents"

Navigate to contents/resources/

There you will have the icon, named pinyin.tiff.

Make a backup of the icon. Make another icon, and replace this instance with your creation. Admin password needed. Kill TCIM to make it take effect.

Keep a copy of your icon somewhere else, as OS X updates will overwrite your changes.

Same applies to SCIM or any input method.

• This was what I was looking for, but it looks like mac has special permissions on these files. $ sudo mv /System/Library/Input\ Methods/TCIM.app/Contents/Resources/pinyin.tiff /System/Library/Input\ Methods/TCIM.app/Contents/Resources/pinyin.bk.tiff Password: mv: rename : Operation not permitted benlieb@bens 05:27 PM ~/my_life/sites/2016/1099 >
    – pixelearth
    Jun 11, 2016 at 9:32
  • $ sudo mv /Users/benlieb/Desktop/pinyin_new.tiff /System/Library/Input\ Methods/TCIM.app/Contents/Resources/pinyin.tiff override rw-r--r-- ....Resources/pinyin.tiff? (y/n [n]) y mv: rename Operation not permitted
    – pixelearth
    Jun 11, 2016 at 9:32
  • Ah, of course. If you are really hell-bent on it, you can still do it: developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Security/…
    – user4452
    Jun 11, 2016 at 12:15

Update: I was not able to find out how to change the actual icon, but a quick fix was to select the "show input source name" in the dropdown on the top bar. I was just seeing the icon before, and now I can see the full name. This is fine but takes up 4x more space in my crowded top bar that it needs to.

I'll consider it a shim.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.