Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the purpose of in the following sentence?

好像她已出去好几天了。

The English translation given is:

It looks as if she's gone away for a few days.

Or is this an incorrect-character, supposed to be something else?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Here 已 has the same meaning as 已经 and means already. When speaking one would normally use 已经, but in written documents 已 can be found.

I would translate 好像她已出去好几天了 as "It seems she's already been gone for some days".

share|improve this answer

Agree. That's right. –  Question Overflow Aug 10 '12 at 14:49

Ah. Or "It seems she's already been gone for some days"? –  kalaracey Aug 10 '12 at 19:52
add comment

Indeed "It looks as if she's gone away for a few days" is an incorrect translation.

I would translate this as "It seems she's already been gone for quite a few days".

If the 已 were excluded, I would translate it as "It seems she's been gone for quite a few days."

So the 已 emphasizes the passage of time, just like "already" in English.

add comment

已=已经. It just represents the past perfect tense. I think [been] is necessary here. The sentence implies that the subject never came back during the few days, in this case past perfect tense is appropriate.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.