Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
What etymology dictionaries are available?
What was this online dictionary's name with ancient traditional and simplified characters and etymology?

I always wanted to see where some Chinese characters originated from. Are there any websites that will show me how a Chinese character came into being?

For example, I'm interested on how 讀 has 賣 on its right yet sounds nothing like each other, nor have any similar meaning.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by BertR, Cocowalla, Alenanno Aug 13 '12 at 16:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

add comment

2 Answers 2

Yes, almost certainly a duplicate question.

But you raise an interesting question: why does 讀 have 賣 (mai4) on its right hand side?

In actual fact, the right hand side is a character pronounced yu4 (which looks similar to 竇 but which I cannot find in my IME) which was simplified to 賣 in the clerical script. Why does yu4 not sound much like du2? Well, according to Baxter's reconstruction of Old Chinese, they did: 讀 (*lôk), 賣 (*luk).

share|improve this answer
add comment

I can provite a website http://www.chineseetymology.org
It was set up by Richard. Maybe it can help you.

share|improve this answer
Who is Richard?? Richard Gere? –  deutschZuid Aug 13 '12 at 21:30
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.