Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When casually speaking English I use the word "actually" a lot at the beginning of a sentance, or as part of the flow of my speech. e.g.

Actually, next semester doesn't start for a month.

Actually, I don't have any siblings.

I would like to be able to continue this speech habit in Mandarin Chinese, I have been using 事实上 (shìshíshàng), but from my listeners' reactions I am not sure if this is really the same.

What is the closest equivalent expression?

share|improve this question
Starting your sentences with "actually" can be an effective way to annoy people. –  Orion Dec 15 '11 at 5:49
mandarin chinese is the perfect opportunity for new beginnings. –  Vic Goldfeld Dec 15 '11 at 23:10

@NullUserException Actually, not always. ... :P ahah sorry, I couldn't help it. –  Alenanno Dec 22 '11 at 22:36

3 Answers 3

up vote 11 down vote accepted

"其实" or "其实呢" is more similar to what you wanted, casually. E.g.

其实我没有兄弟姐妹.

"事实上" is not wrong, but it is literally "in fact" or "as a matter of fact".

share|improve this answer
实际上... Will be ok too –  AntiGameZ Dec 15 '11 at 3:29

@AntiGameZ That's right. At first, I thought "实际上" is more similar to "事实上" without thinking too much. Now I get it... –  Flake Dec 15 '11 at 3:43

An addition to other great answers:

反正 can be used as "actually" too sometimes.

Example:

• 谢谢你过来帮我 (Thanks for coming over to help me)
    Xièxie nǐ guò lái bāng wǒ
  • 反正我刚好在这边附近而已 (Actually, I happened to be just around the corner)
    fǎn zhèng wǒ gāng hăo zài zhè biān fù jìn ér yǐ

I corrected the examples but they need to be peer-reviewed first. I wrote a _ (underscore) where I didn't know the pinyin. Who knows it, feel free to add it and correct possible mistakes! :) –  Alenanno Dec 22 '11 at 22:40

Following on from Flake, I also often hear people saying 那么 (那) or just as a way to begin sentences, or 那个 when stopping to think in mid sentences. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

sort of.. but I was after something conveying the sense that I am attempting to clarify the topic under discussion –  trideceth12 Dec 15 '11 at 2:47

@trideceth12 Do you want to imply that others in the conversation need you to clear it up for them? –  Colin McLarty Sep 27 '13 at 16:34

@ColinMcLarty yeah –  trideceth12 Sep 28 '13 at 1:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.