Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How should I order food from a menu in a restaurant?

In English I'd usually say something like 'I'll have the beef' or 'one of these and two of those' while pointing.

In the past in China I have simply pointed and said 一个 or 这个, but I imagine that is not quite correct :)

share|improve this question

As a cultural aside, does anyone else find it odd how waiters/waitresses on the mainland will stand beside you, waiting with pen poised on notepad while you peruse the menu? Some menus can be quite large, and I always feel guilty if I take too long! –  Cocowalla Aug 27 '12 at 10:56

I also get annoyed by that. You can always tell them 我们还没决定 so they go away. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Aug 28 '12 at 5:24
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Actually, it is correct when you point and say "这个", but Chinese speakers often use "一份" instead of "一个". The complete sentence may look like "我想要一份XXX" or “我要这个”.

Hope this may help you.

share|improve this answer

The meaning of 一份 would be something like "one portion of" btw. –  Torsten Aug 27 '12 at 10:21
add comment

In addition to Chang's answer, you may also ask in the following manner:

请给我一份牛排套餐,外加这道菜,还有那两样。

share|improve this answer

So I can use 外加 and 还有 to join different items I am ordering? –  Cocowalla Aug 27 '12 at 10:54

@Cocowalla, absolutely. –  Question Overflow Aug 27 '12 at 13:34
You could also use 来, as in 来一份牛排套餐. –  jogloran Aug 27 '12 at 13:56

@jogloran I've never seen used like that - I feel another question coming on! –  Cocowalla Aug 27 '12 at 14:54

来 seems to be more common from my experience. Just to confuse the matter further, you could also say 请给我来一份牛排套餐 –  deutschZuid Aug 27 '12 at 23:25
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.