Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've only ever people say something like 我住在山坡上 but to me 山坡 sounds like the side of a mountain. Google translate gives me 我住在山脚下.

In English we use, I live at the bottom of a hill, not I live at the bottom of a mountain or I live on the side of a mountain; mountain sounds too majestic.

So is 山坡 or 山脚 a good choice for side of a hill or is there a better word to describe where I live?

I want to say something like: Because I live at the bottom of a hill it is hard to ride my bike to work. 因为我住在山脚下,骑自行车上班很难。

share|improve this question

How would you say a 'hill' in Chinese then? Just curious. To me, a hill and a mountain would both be translated into 山 in Chinese. –  deutschZuid Oct 9 '12 at 21:56

For me 我住在山脚下 is OK and natural enough. To sound more colloquial I would say 我住在山边上 I live beside a hill. –  Nihil Oct 10 '12 at 16:03
add comment

1 Answer 1

, in general, refers to a mountain or a hill.

坡 refers to a slope.

Therefore, 山坡 refers to the side (or slope) of a hill (or mountain).

脚 refers to the foot.

So, 山脚 refers to the foot of a hill (or mountain).

Depending on what bike you are referring to, it could be a motorcycle (摩托车) or bicycle (自行车).

I think the translation provided by Google is okay:

Because I live at the bottom of a hill it is hard to ride my bike to work.

因为我住在山脚下,骑自行车(or 摩托车)上班很难。

If you are staying in a valley, 山谷 will be more appropriate.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.