Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is 看一看 equal to 瞧一瞧 in meaning?

Are they interchangeable?

share|improve this question

Related to this: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/1106/… –  xiaohouzi79 Oct 11 '12 at 2:22
Let's 瞧瞧看 the answers. –  杨以轩 Oct 11 '12 at 4:37

People around me seldom say 瞧一瞧, but 瞧瞧看 is sometimes used :) –  Aw Qirui Guo Oct 16 '12 at 3:26

5 Answers 5

up vote 7 down vote accepted

In Northern China, 瞧 is the colloquial form of 看 and they are always interchangeable. I can't speak for Southern China though.

E.g.

• 瞧瞧 = 看看 = take a look
  • 你瞧瞧 = 你看看 = [in blaming tone] look (what you've done)
  • 瞧一瞧 = 看一看 = take a look (don't miss it)
  • 瞧得起 = 看得起 = look up to
  • 瞧得见 = 看得见 = can see
  • 瞧一眼 = 看一眼 = cast a glance at
share|improve this answer

瞧一瞧, 看一看. 走过路过不要错过 :) –  deutschZuid Oct 12 '12 at 0:14
@JamesJiao exactly! :) –  NS.X. Oct 12 '12 at 2:14

There is no difference between 看一看 and 瞧一瞧.

If you ask someone for help, if the guy considers helping you, he or she will say let me 看一看 or 瞧一瞧.

In Southern China, people mainly use "看一看" rather than "瞧一瞧",but using "瞧一瞧" in Southern China is still natural. Additionally, "瞅一瞅" chǒu yī chǒu has the same meaning in Northern China, whereas nearly never be used in the Southern part of China.

In the Northern China, 看一看 has the same meaning with 瞧一瞧

I'm from Southern China, never say 瞧一瞧, people may understand you when you say that but definitely it sounds a little bit weird, at least to me.

I think 看一看 will be good everywhere in China

When I chat the informal way to say 看一看 is 瞄一眼(glance)

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.