Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is this sentence "encircle the comma using slash" right? Actually, I want to figure out this situation \,\ I doubt the word 'encircle' is not accurate.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by NS.X., Don Kirkby Oct 18 '12 at 19:41

Questions on Chinese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to Chinese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This is not a Chinese Language and Usage question... –  NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 7:26

Where can I ask this question?I see a couple of questions like this.For example,chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/2250/… thanks –  liam xu Oct 18 '12 at 7:28

I might be wrong but IMO that question is really about the meaning of a specific Chinese idiom; this question is really about how to put something in English while the source language happened to be Chinese. –  NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 17:58

Please refer to this meta Q/A. –  NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 18:01
@liamxu - Hi Liam, I suggest you ask this question on the English StackExchange site english.stackexchange.com –  xiaohouzi79 Oct 18 '12 at 22:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think "enclose" would be a better word since "encircle" usually means to surround by forming a circle. Note that the character \ is actually a back slash, not a slash (/).

"Enclose the comma with two back slashes."

Another alternative word is "pad":

"Pad the comma with one back slash in front and one behind."

Or "delimit" if the purpose is to separate some text. But I doubt it is the case here.

share|improve this answer

thanks.I understand –  liam xu Oct 18 '12 at 7:00

Yes, the meaning you guessed is correct. Maybe it is best to translate it as: Put the comma between slashes.

share|improve this answer

thanks,this is better –  liam xu Oct 18 '12 at 6:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.