Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I watched the video ' Obama's Twitter Town Hall- Full Video ' in Youtube.But I knew the Town Hall means '市政厅',and what does it mean here?

share|improve this question

It is actually a town hall meeting. The word "meeting" could have been dropped from the video title. –  Question Overflow Oct 19 '12 at 13:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

A town hall meeting is known as 市民大会 or 市政厅会议. It has to be noted that this concept originates from America and may not be well received in other countries depending on the political system.

A Facebook or a Twitter town hall meeting can be generally termed as 网上市民大会. An example sourced from this news article reads:

中新社旧金山4月20日电(记者 刘丹)20日下午,美国总统奥巴马在加州帕洛阿图市的脸书(Facebook)总部举行“分担责任共享繁荣”网上市民大会时表示,希望更多有智慧有雄心的人留在美国,不希望看到下一个英特尔这样的企业在中国或法国创业。

share|improve this answer

我好像记得公司的员工大会也用了这个,也可以用吗,我们是外企 –  liam xu Oct 19 '12 at 13:46

在其他方面如企业,英语词汇是有用到的(Stackoverflow Meta 里就有用到这词),但不正规。至于华语词汇我就不晓得了。 –  Question Overflow Oct 19 '12 at 16:13

@liamxu In the companies I've worked for, 员工大会 is called "company meeting" or "all-hands meeting". "Town hall" is more of a Q/A session with managers that you are free to attend or not. Chinese translation is 与xxx面对面/见面会/问答会. –  NS.X. Oct 19 '12 at 20:56

thanks a lot,i got it –  liam xu Oct 20 '12 at 10:19

@liamxu If you like the answer, you should upvote and accept the answer. Otherwise, Mr. Overflow goes unrewarded for his hard work (except for my upvote). –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jan 31 '13 at 0:57

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.