Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Chinese, one uses the phrase 其他 when refering to other things. In Japanese one uses a similiar phrase: 其の他 (Sono ta), where 其 is often written in Hiragana: その他. Since the meaning is identical, I want to ask whether these two phrases have an etymological connection. If yes, which language's phrase appeared first?

share|improve this question
The most oldest record I can find now is from 国语. In chapter called 晋语四, 民生安乐,谁知其他?. It is considered this book is written in late 春秋 or early 战国 period. Maybe around 5th century B.C. –  halfelf Oct 29 '12 at 9:28
康熙字典:《小雅》人知其一,莫知其他。 –  Mike Manilone Nov 3 '12 at 9:29

Perhaps more important is that you know the Chinese word 词源 (origin of a word; etymology). By googling "其他的词源" you find the first result (cidian.xpcha.com/297628drose.html) contains halfelf's citation above. –  user2251 Nov 5 '12 at 4:21
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

其の他 can also be read as "sono hoka" in Japanese, both consisting of native Japanese morphemes. In "sono ta", only the "ta" (他) is borrowed from Chinese. Early citations for both expressions is c. 14th century. Japanese borrowed much vocabulary from Chinese. It is entirely possible that the reading "sono ta" or "sono hoka" developed from the Chinese 其他. However, as halfelf has cited, the Chinese is much older, so Japanese likely did not have any effect on the Chinese expression.

share|improve this answer

Hi @Dono, thanks for your answer. It would be helpful if you could provide sources for any claims you make to support your answer. –  xiaohouzi79 Oct 29 '12 at 22:51

@xiaohouzi79 The standard reference for early Japanese citations is 日本国語大辞典 (Nihon Kokugo Daijiten), 2nd edition. –  Dono Oct 30 '12 at 0:16

@Dono You can't say "Japanese did not have any effect on the Chinese expression." 经济, 世界语 and so on are come from Japanese. –  Mike Manilone Nov 3 '12 at 11:12

@MikeManilone You misquoted me. I suggest that you re-read what I wrote: (for reasons given) "so Japanese LIKELY did not have any effect on THE Chinese expression." THE Chinese expression being referred to here is 其他. –  Dono Nov 3 '12 at 14:45
add comment

I think 其他 and 其の他 appeared first in Japanese. 其の他 often appeared in 手紙、仕樣書. It means ceremonial and honorific. But in chinese 其他 was used extensively everywhere.

share|improve this answer

I don't think so. And this reason is not sufficient enough. In history, Chinese has a great influence on Japanese. But the converse is much less. –  halfelf Oct 29 '12 at 9:15

Very unlikely given the citation evidence. –  Dono Oct 29 '12 at 12:23

@Lomography thanks for your answer. It would be helpful if you could provide a source or evidence to support your claim. –  xiaohouzi79 Oct 29 '12 at 22:50

It's more likely that 其の他 arose as a calque of 其他. –  jogloran Nov 1 '12 at 5:50
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.