Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The radical 囗 is sometimes described as 圍字框. This phrase is a little bit ambigous to me. Does this mean

• «the frame of the character 【圍】» (圍字的框子)
  • or «the frame that surrounds characters»? (包圍文字的框子)
share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

The former interpretation is correct.

Chinese characters are composed of components (some radicals, some phonetics, some neither). For many of the components, there are standard or widely used ways to refer to them. A common pattern is {component}+字+{旁/头/盖/底/儿/框}. (The last part refers to which part of the character it is--e.g., side, top, bottom, "frame") For instance:

讠= 言字旁 e.g, 说、讲

⺮ = 竹字头 e.g., 管、篮

心 = 心字底 e.g., 忌、忍

Some of them break the pattern a bit:

刂 = 立刀旁; e.g., 刻、则

彳 = 双人旁; e.g., 很、彼

忄= 竖心旁; e.g., 快、慢

辶 = 走之底; e.g., 这、迅

Sometimes the situation is complicated because the component does not exist as a standalone character. In that case, it is often named by a common character with that component

宀 = 宝字盖/宝盖头; e.g., 宇、定

𡗗 = 春字头; e.g., 泰、秦

冂 = 同字框; e.g., 周、网

Keep in mind that there may be multiple names for a given component.

Here are some resources to look at.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the explanative answer! Do you also know any resources on traditional Chinese? –  商榮沛 Oct 27 '12 at 21:46

Not off the top of my head. Most of the radicals and components are the same anyway, although their form might be somewhat different. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Oct 27 '12 at 21:57

What's with radicals such as 鬯 that don't exist in simplified chinese? –  商榮沛 Oct 27 '12 at 21:59

Well, has a standalone reading of "chang4", and so far as I can tell, there are only about 4 characters that contain it as a component (e.g., ). I think if you were trying to communicate with a chinese person, you'd need an explanation that was long than a word (e.g., when describing a character, bring up --preferably by making reference to a compound it's found in--, then describe the rest of the character). –  Stumpy Joe Pete Oct 27 '12 at 22:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.