Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working in a Chinese pharmacy & have a product with the English name "Compound Methylsalicylate cataplasma". This is supposed to be a translation from the Chinese "复方水扬酸甲酯巴布膏".

As far as I know, "cataplasma" is not a word in the English language.

Google translate says "巴布膏" means "Babu cream", but that tells me next to nothing, while has no results.

share|improve this question
I have always had a ton of difficulty with finding translations for pharmaceuticals. Good luck! (According to this, a cataplasma is just another word for a poultice.) – Stumpy Joe Pete Nov 2 '12 at 7:24
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I am not an expert in this area but online search gave me:

  • Cataplasma is a Spanish word. It could be a typo here. The English version is Cataplasm, Wikipedia says:

    A poultice, also called cataplasm, is a soft moist mass, often heated and medicated, that is spread on cloth over the skin to treat an aching, inflamed, or painful part of the body. It can be used on wounds such as cuts.

  • 巴布膏, according to Baidu Zhidao, means:


From what I read, the narrow meaning of cataplasm and 巴布膏 may not be exactly the same, but in your context they both mean medicated cloth patch applied on skin. I think the translation you've mentioned is accurate.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.