Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I encountered a very useful dictionary eight years ago, but have never been able to find a copy of it because I don't know what it's called. It not only gave examples in context of how to use the words, but also gave examples of how NOT to use the word (marked with an 【误】, if I remember correctly). Can anyone identify a dictionary that has this feature?

share|improve this question

I find a dict called 现代汉语正误辞典. Maybe it is the one you used before. Search it on Google, there still some online stores sell it. –  halfelf Nov 19 '12 at 2:22

Wouldn't how to not use the word be dependent on the user's first language. I'm quite sure Swedish and Japanese students make different mistakes. –  Olle Linge Nov 19 '12 at 10:42

Hmm, yes, I would imagine the utility of this dictionary varying depending on the learner's first language. –  cyanos Nov 19 '12 at 19:37

1 Answer 1

I recommend this《小學生的國語辭典》approved by the Taiwanese Ministry of Education for their primary school students. It contains the following features:

• 语文帮手 (or language assistant) to highlight certain words that require particular attention. For example:

「人才」有才能和德性的人。例: ...
    請注意:指才能和知質義時「人才」也可以寫成「人材」:但是有木料或原料的意思時「木材」和「藥材」不可以寫作「木才」、「藥才」。

• 小提醒 (or small reminders) for listing synonyms (相似詞), antonyms (相反詞) and active terms (活用詞). For example:

「井井有倏」形容倏理分明。例:他井井有倏,很受上司的器重。
    相似詞:井然有序。相反詞:亂七八糟。

• 追本溯源 (or trace the origin) to explain the historical background that give rise to the word. For example:

「上當」的本義是指把物品典當給當鋪。據說從前有一个讀書人以經營當鋪為生,店裡的股東欺負他老實,紛紛把不值錢的物品拿來典當高價,沒多久,當鋪就關門大吉了。於是人們就把欺騙別人的行為,叫做「上當」。

Note that the dictionary is written in traditional Chinese (繁体字) and that it is availabe on Google Books.

share|improve this answer

Looks interesting, going to see if I can lay my hands on this one locally. You don't happen to know any other, similar books? –  Olle Linge Nov 21 '12 at 15:03

@OlleLinge, I happen to chance upon this while looking for references to answer another question. Hmm, there should be more out there. I think a good place to look for these gems would be at a national or university library, reference section. Internet is not really the place to search for these. –  Question Overflow Nov 22 '12 at 3:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.