Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that it's a translation from Japanese, but I do not know why it becomes this. Could someone explain it in detail?

share|improve this question
Do you mean why "economy" is translated into "经"+"济" in Japanese? –  NS.X. Jan 1 '13 at 10:06
Actually in Japanese it'd be 経済 :-) I think the OP means that the word 経済 is originally Japanese. –  dda Jan 1 '13 at 13:28
Japanese 経済 is adapted from Chinese usage. Such adaptation is called Kanji in Japan. –  John Siu Jan 2 '13 at 2:44
@JohnSiu The characters and were adapted from Chinese. The word 经济 was created in Japan, and it was borrowed into Chinese. Lots of words are like this (e.g., 科学, 社会, 電話) –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jan 2 '13 at 3:57
@StumpyJoePete True. It seems it is going both ways. It is Chinese characters, but the current everyday meaning/usage is adapted from Japan. The terms 经济 do exist in Chinese history, but the meaning is different. –  John Siu Jan 2 '13 at 4:29

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The Japanese Wikipedia article to 経済 tells us this:

日本語である経済という語は、はじめpolitical economyの訳語として導入された。この訳語の作者は福澤諭吉であり、世の中を治め、人民を救うことを意味する経世済民(若しくは経国済民)を略した和製漢語といわれる。訳語として同時期に資生も提唱されたが、こちらはあまり普及しなかった。

The term "経済" in Japanese was first derived as a translation from "political economy". The author of this translation was Fukuzawa Yukichi, who understood it as "経世済民" or "経国済民", which he intended to mean "Govern of the world, save the people", and thusly coined the term. He also suggested the term "資生" with the same meaning, which never became popular.

share|improve this answer
Come on guys. "経済" couldn't be first derived from Japanese. Because they will not use Chinese characters. I think what the passage is saying the Japanese Character "経済"(slight different from Chinese) was first used in his book in Japan. Fukuzawa probably studied Chinese characters, read it some where else and used that term. –  tipsywacky Dec 13 '13 at 17:41

“经济”一词在古汉语中是“治理国家”的意思。后来被日本人作为西方经济学概念的翻译。当时中国学者的翻译是“生计学”、“计学”,到 1903 年以后在中国逐渐开始采用“经济学”。至于日本人为何翻译成“经济”,可能是联系了“经济”这个词原来的意义,具体的原因,我觉得应该去日语区问。

Please read the post and existing answers... The question is not about the characters. It is about the word. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jan 13 '13 at 18:59
@StumpyJoePete,“经济”一词在古汉语中是“治理国家”的意思。后来被日本人作为西方经济学概念的翻译。当时中国学者的翻译是“生计学”、“计学”,到 1903 年以后在中国逐渐开始采用“经济学”。至于日本人为何翻译成“经济”,可能是联系了“经济”这个词原来的意义,具体的原因,我觉得应该去日语区问。 –  shuangwhywhy Jan 13 '13 at 23:22
Your comment is better than your answer! You should edit this information into your answer--you'll get my upvote at least. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jan 14 '13 at 9:14

You can find an explanation here in Chinese.

Pasting verbatim (but let me know if you can't read/understand this):

Wikipedia also has a section(詞源) covering the origin of the terms 经济. However the English page does not carry the same section completely. –  John Siu Jan 2 '13 at 2:50
@BD In (4), replace GM with 革命. The original author is using GM to by pass China web filtering. I cannot fix it as it is only 2 characters. –  John Siu Jan 2 '13 at 3:20
However, I still have no idea why Japanese would use "經濟" for it? –  Mike Manilone Jan 5 '13 at 12:18
I think "食貨" is better, or even "理財"... –  Mike Manilone Jan 5 '13 at 12:23
@MikeManilone Better for what? I'm not quite sure where your confusion lies; are you able to read the Chinese pasted above? –  user2251 Jan 5 '13 at 15:29

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.