Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For a role playing game I'm joining, my character is a monk of Chinese origin.

Trying to come up with a name I thought of "Eye of (the) Hurricane/Typhoon" as the monk is a very calm character caught in the turbulence of the real world outside of the monastery. I tried to look for a Chinese translation of which I would want to use the Pinyin equivalent, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know what the eye of a hurricane or typhoon is called in Chinese and if so, could you provide me with a Pinyin alternative?

I tried this dictionary: But the server isn't responding. Couldn't find any other good dictionaries.

share|improve this question definition 4. – ash Jan 10 '13 at 6:20
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's 风眼(feng1 yan3) or 台风眼(tai2 feng1 yan3), simply the word-by-word translation to the English word "Eye of (the) Hurricane/Typhoon".

You can see it on the wiki:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.