Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this on nciku.cn and after searching around I could find no other references or even mention. Is this a translation error or some sort of dictionary blip? I asked a few Chinese friends but they had never heard of it nor any idea to what it could signify aside from one's death.

share|improve this question

Unless it is some form of news headline or has some kind of historical reference, I really don't see any significance of the sentence. I don't recall any related specific usage. I think it is just some random online translation. Maybe someone can give more input. –  John Siu Jan 18 '13 at 6:00
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It seems that that at some time dweg (or died while eating gumbo) has been used in English by some people. Although I can't find many references to it. The definition for dweg can be found on this website: http://www.abbrt.com/dweg

For some reason this ended up in the Comprehensive English-Chinese Dictionary which is one of the sources of Nciku. Nciku also has the definition for dweg and 吃秋葵时过世 is their tranlation of died while eating gumbo.

It is definitely not a Chinese expression and not something that is worthwhile learning.

share|improve this answer
Since you brought up the idea that it may actually be originated from the English side, I am wondering if it has anything related with the book Death by Gumbo. Maybe someone was trying to do a translation of the book title?! –  John Siu Jan 18 '13 at 22:08

I assumed gumbo was a Chinese dish, since they used okra which I only met in China. Next time I find something as ambiguous I will confirm I know the English definition. Point taken. –  tao Jan 20 '13 at 13:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.