Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

给我站住

I assume this means something like "wait for me!". But I still have a couple of questions.

1. Google translate gives the meaning "Nothing to say" which implies that 给我站住 may be an idiom.

2. If 给我站住 does mean "wait for me", is this the normal way of saying it? How does it differ from something like “等我”

share|improve this question

it means `STOP!', commonly used when you are chasing someone. –  user58955 Sep 18 '13 at 7:11
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

"给我" is usually interpreted as a command or an order to do something for the speaker.

"站住" means to halt or to stand still.

"给我站住" is not an idiom, but a command to stop a person from walking away. In this case, Google Translate got it wrong. "给我站住" is usually spoken when someone has done something bad and you want that person to stop walking away from the "crime" scene:

你给我站住!

"等我" is to ask someone to wait for you. Therefore, the two do not share the same meaning at all.

share|improve this answer

That's why all those police were yelling it at me :) –  trideceth12 Feb 3 '13 at 12:35

You did something wrong??? –  Question Overflow Feb 3 '13 at 12:35

Only joking!­­­ –  trideceth12 Feb 3 '13 at 12:36

Usually if you hear that from police, there could be a few guns pointing in your direction :) –  Question Overflow Feb 3 '13 at 12:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.