Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When learning country/place names or reading about non-Chinese people in the media I see the same characters used for similar phonemes (see these celebrities). What rule or list do the writers follow when 'coining' a hiterto untranslated name into Chinese?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The following are standards for transliterating foreign names into Mandarin Chinese. There are a lot of exceptions due to historical reasons but new names are mostly following these standards:

Above are for names. I don't think there are rules/standards for any proper noun. As the other answer suggested, sometimes the translation is semantic, mixed semantic/phonetic or something else. Even for phonetic transliteration, people may choose characters to represent subject feelings or style over the one specified by the standard. In the past there were also incidences that one proper noun had multiple translations and eventually one defeated the others.

share|improve this answer
add comment

No list. It would be easy to make a list because it would be all characters (point 3). In general I think these are the rules:

• 1) The standard (which is really based off the next point).
  • 2) The frequency/stroke count of the character.
  • 3) The desire to represent style.

The standard

I just mean x character has been used before, lets use it again because folks already know about it. Really just based off 2 and 3 below.

The frequency/stroke count of the character.

I feel like Starbucks is an interesting example, a phono-semantic one too.

星巴克
xīng ba kè
star 'phonetic placer' 'phonetic placer' 

The last two characters are the most interesting because they have no meaning and are used because of their sound and frequency/stroke count.

巴 - 697 frequency (also the first ba in the list)
克 - 493 frequency (also the first ke in the list)

http://www.zein.se/patrick/3000char.html

The desire to represent one's style.

I've never heard about a law that saws parents cannot use x character to name their children. I think such censorship would cause a revolution before youku got shutdown. So following this point theoretically any character is up for grabs.

share|improve this answer

I read an article about how some of the (very) rare characters cannot be typed into a computer - some of these were used for names and now cannot be because each person must have a computerised record. –  trideceth12 Feb 12 '13 at 16:52

yes, this is true. If you follow the unicode list we are still adding chinese characters. Very carefully –  fourtones Feb 12 '13 at 17:50

There are actually rules that govern transliterations, but they differ across regions. –  deutschZuid Feb 12 '13 at 20:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.