In the Dim Sum place I usually go to (in the U.S), they call the pan-fried bun stuffed with Chinese chive and shrimp 韭菜馅饼.

I came from Northern China and the shape and size of that bun are, by any standard, 包子 rather than 馅饼.

I wonder if this is normal in Cantonese or just that restaurant.

If it's normal, is the distinction between 包子 and 馅饼 cooking method (pan-fried vs. steamed) rather than shape and size?

• I have seen those before too. It's possible that 馅饼 has come to mean any pan-fried pastry with fillings. Were they flat on both sides or just on one side? Feb 18, 2013 at 5:43
  • @JamesJiao they look just like 生煎包. Maybe both sides are cooked but the bottom is apparently pan-fried much deeper than the upper side.
    – NS.X.
    Feb 18, 2013 at 7:19
  • Can you post a couple of pictures?
    – jsj
    Feb 18, 2013 at 13:43
  • @trideceth12 Found this picture on Yelp, on the plate to the leftmost. s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/W8e5f37JGPXZVOrSJJmT-w/l.jpg
    – NS.X.
    Feb 19, 2013 at 2:04

1 Answer 1

Yeah. 包 (usually sans 子, most of the time, or sometimes as 包仔, and sometimes as 鮑[仔]) is a steamed bun, whereas 餡餅 is baked/pan-fried.

• Thanks for the answer. Could you be explicit on whether shape is a factor or not?
    – NS.X.
    Feb 19, 2013 at 4:37
  • I don't think shape is much of a factor, really... I'll look at some menus in the coming days and see if I can bring some examples.
    – dda
    Feb 19, 2013 at 4:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.