Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want a tattoo saying 時間 (time). However I was told this is not suitable for a tattoo. I wanted to know how to say time in chinese with a deep meaning. Is there a way to add a character so that it would not look funny?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by 杨以轩, deutschZuid, trideceth12, Alenanno Feb 20 '13 at 9:33

Questions on Chinese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to Chinese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This smells offtopic. We don't provide advice for tattoos here. –  deutschZuid Feb 20 '13 at 0:42
Can you elaborate on which aspect of 'time' you are thinking about? What a similar word/phrase would be in English? –  NS.X. Feb 20 '13 at 1:20

I voted to close - It's off topic. This is a question about culture. Furthermore it's subjective. Oh and if you want my advice - Don't get any tattoo! –  trideceth12 Feb 20 '13 at 2:55

3 Answers 3

I'm pretty sure this is not the answer you are looking for, but here it is anyway...

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
My favorite was when I saw a girl with 火 tattooed on herself - I didn't have the heart to explain to her that it's pronounced "Whore" –  trideceth12 Feb 20 '13 at 9:50
I think it's only a matter of time. Chinese really like English and like to be appear able to understand it. I saw tissue paper yesterday marked "Smooth and Tenacious" –  tao Feb 20 '13 at 10:49

Smooth and tenacious actually sounds like really good qualities for a tissue... –  juckele Feb 20 '13 at 12:31

@juckele I'd buy it :D –  Growler Feb 20 '13 at 14:24

Ha, I've seen this before. –  deutschZuid Feb 20 '13 at 21:29

亙古不變 - never changed from ancient time

恆久 - for a long time

You're right, 時間 would be awkward... that's literally the noun "time", like "do you have any time?".

That seems awkward in English too to get such a tattoo.

Maybe you'd prefer something more poetic? Like...

永恆 yong3 heng2 = eternity

Or maybe even get an idiom... those are usually pretty:

萬古千秋 wan4 gu3 qian1 qiu = For all eternity

I don't think it's awkward at all. The question is way too subjective. –  deutschZuid Feb 20 '13 at 2:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.