Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

"To do a burnout" is 烧胎, so I assume a reasonable sentence would be:


How would one distinguish this activity from piling up tyres and setting fire to them, for example in this news clipping:

[Pupils] had been unable to go to school ... because roads were being blocked with stones and burning tyres.

The problem was not that people were doing burnouts on the road to school.

TL;DR enter image description here

share|improve this question
I think the right way to express is 昨晚我的车在停车场烧胎了。 – Zang MingJie Feb 27 '13 at 13:51
@ZangMingJie ahh great! Thanks. – jsj Feb 27 '13 at 16:20
up vote 3 down vote accepted

烧胎 is a technical term understood by motor-sports enthusiasts as a burnout. If you are really burning tyres, you would need to say 烧轮胎 instead:


A translation for your news clipping example would be:



enter image description here

share|improve this answer
TL;DR = "Too long; didn't read". It's used either as a reply to someone who has written too much, or as in my case where the TL;DR section is an abbreviated version of the full version. – jsj Feb 26 '13 at 8:21
I think trideceth12 is actually looking for an adjective + noun expression, not a verb expression, based on the context of his example sentence. 燃烧着的轮胎would probably be a better translation in this case. – deutschZuid Feb 26 '13 at 11:53
@trideceth12, yes, I understood what it means. Trying to be funny here :) – 杨以轩 Feb 26 '13 at 12:39
@JamesJiao, ok I have added that in. – 杨以轩 Feb 26 '13 at 12:41

I like the TL;DR version!

I would suggest the translation:

点燃轮胎 = to set fire to tires

By using two separate words, it cannot be interpreted as a single term with an idiomatic meaning of "to burn rubber"*. 点燃 might not be the best translation for "to light on fire" (transitive), so I'm open to suggestions, but there are plenty of google hits showing angry protestors lighting tires on fire, so it can't be that wrong.

* As I side-note, I am familiar with "to burn rubber", but not with "to do a burnout". This may be an US vs UK thing though.

share|improve this answer
"Burnout" is quite common for this activity. I think in the US they also say "peel out". "Burn rubber" can also just mean to drive fast, and by extension to do anything fast "we need to burn rubber on this project". – jsj Feb 26 '13 at 6:03
Yeah, I've heard "peel out" for situations where you are accelerating rapidly. – Stumpy Joe Pete Feb 26 '13 at 6:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.