Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

It's used as a classifier, like this:




So how to say it in English?

share|improve this question
What have you tried? – 杨以轩 Mar 11 '13 at 7:06
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Generally it's called 'move'.

To be precise, 招 is 'move' and 式 is 'stance' or 'form'.

When it comes to a specific move, you can use words like catch (手 as in 擒拿手), hit (打), reach (长拳), kick (踢) etc.


Every move is imprinted on his mind.

share|improve this answer
I will vote you up when I get 15 reps. :) – zwangxian Mar 11 '13 at 7:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.