Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know it's possible to the use perfective aspect particle 了 for future events, eg:

你家少爷长大了准能当个二流子。

I have yet to find example of similar occurrences with 过. Is it even possible to use it in other situations than past events?

share|improve this question

Deserves upvotes, not downvotes! The distinction between aspect and tense is a major reason that Chinese particles can be difficult to learn (coming from an English-speaking background), so showing examples where particles that could be misunderstood as "past tense" are used in the future is useful in explaining the distinction! –  Stumpy Joe Pete Mar 21 '13 at 21:15

Chinese language doesn't have a strong sense of Tense as in English. Tense in Chinese is something conveyed by the whole sentence, not by individual (or group of) character/particle/phrase in the sentence. More often than not the tense of a sentence depends on the context. Example A: "你长大了" by itself is almost same as present perfect tense in English, but "你长大了就明白了" talks about the future. Example B: "我去邮局取包裹" by itself is almost same as simple present in English, but in "我昨天收到邮局发的领取包裹通知单. 我去邮局取包裹. 在回家的路上碰到了他." it talks about the past. –  孤影萍踪 Mar 22 '13 at 0:38

@孤影萍踪 I agree, and that's why I commented. Chinese doesn't have grammatical tense, it has grammatical aspect. That's why it's important to show that and are not about tense. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Mar 22 '13 at 2:57

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

In short, yes, only for events in the near future.

等我喫過(了),咱們再走。 (= 喫了再走)
等我玩過(了),咱們再走。 (= 玩了再走) It's better to use "玩夠了" in this case.
等我弄過(了),咱們再走。 (= 弄了再走)

You must say "等 sb" to make it natural.

Note: this is less used than only a "了".

share|improve this answer

I think 够, as in 玩够了 would be more appropriate for the cases you mentioned. –  杨以轩 Mar 17 '13 at 15:52

@QuestionOverflow Yes you are right. I've changed it =) –  Mike Manilone Mar 18 '13 at 13:44

Some times you don't have to say 等。

我们吃 过(了) 饭后就去看电影。

明天,我们的行程是:上午去看画展,看 过(了) 画展后去海边游泳。中午……下午……

过(了) 这封信,你就知道他为什么离开这个城市了。

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.